*Please, use horizontal position of your mobile device for watching this slideshow
Learn how Eqobrush continuous chiller cleaning system helps to improve energy efficiency in Chinese buildings without investment. By avoiding the settlement of any fouling the chillers keep running at optimal performance at all times and >10% electricity can easily be saved.
Any building operator running water-cooled chillers feel free to contact us and apply.
1. Eqobrush Energy Performance Contract for Chillers
2. Air Conditioning Problems? Ever called over the air-con repair man to your home and watch him fix the performance problem by simply cleaning the outdoor condenser? Did you realize that he did not only fix the problem but that because of the cleaning the electricity consumption of the unit dropped considerably? Your unit was having problems releasing the heat from your room to the outdoor… Mechanical cooling is based on the principle that liquids absorb energy (heat) during evaporation and release this during condensation.
3. Water cooled chiller operation Chillers are the single largest energy-using component in most facilities and can typically consume over 50 percent of the electrical usage. https://www.achrnews.com/artic les/92941-maximizing-chiller- efficiency
4. Cooling tower water issues • High mineral: scaling • Algae: slime • Dust, sand and other debris Result: • Fouling of the condenser tubes. • Loss of effective heat exchange • Increased electricity consumption Water that circulates over an open cooling tower with the purpose to dissipate heat via evaporation is the main cause of fouling in the condenser tubes.
5. Chiller condenser fouling US department of energy https://www.achrnews.com/articles/92941-maximizing-chiller-efficiency The Chinese University of Hong Kong (Application research in Swire properties) http://www.swireproperties.com/webs/ehs2006/02-sponge- ball%20automatic%20tube%20cleaning%20device%20for%20saving%20energy.pdf Fact: Every chiller wastes energy on fouling between cleaning cycles We estimate 30% energy spill in chillers due to fouling Over 12% energy saving realized with automatic chiller condenser cleaning.
6. Fouling Impact on Energy Use The relation between scale build-up, and the increase in power consumption is illustrated in the Fouling Factor Table. Fouling Factor FF Scale thickness in mm Power increase required 0.000 0.000 0.00% 0.0001 0.03 1.1% 0.0005 0.15 5.5% 0.0010 0.30 11.0% 0.0020 0.61 22.0% 0.0030 0.91 33.0% 0.0040 1.22 44.0% 1 mm fouling 30% power consumption increase.
7. “This problem does not apply to us” • Chiller performance monitoring: – Monitor power consumption – Monitor cooling tower heat rejection • Verify your system: is the kWh/RT ration stable or does it increase between cleaning cycles • 6 months free monitoring prior to deciding to use Eqobrush www.monitor-box.com Our chillers are special. They don’t foul.
8. The value of brushing The cavemen started brushing their teeth regularly once they found out that “fresh” build-up is easy to remove, as opposed to leaving it untouched and allow scaling. That’s exactly what the tubes of your chiller condenser need: regular brushing to clean any build-up before scaling sets in. Regular and frequent brushing avoids scaling problems.
9. Eqobrush Chiller Condenser Cleaning • Water propels brushes through each condenser tube every 4 hours • All fresh fouling is removed before it has chance to harden • System runs automatically and independent from BMS, worry free and minimal operating cost Keep chiller tubes free of fouling during operation by using the power of water.
10. Eqobrush’s Energy Performance Contract Modeled after US/China initiative Motivate building owners to become energy efficient on chiller management Cost savings pay for the system Gain system ownership in 2 years without investment http://www.globalchange.umd.edu/technology-and-policy/epc/
11. Business Model Eqobrush is installed on a clean chiller We monitor the energy consumption per cooling unit (kWh/RT) www.monitor-box.com Guaranteed average electricity saving >10% Approx. 75% of the energy saving is paid back for a period of 24 months (payable per 6 months)
12. Chiller size in Refrigeration Ton Chiller capacity is usually expressed in RT or Refrigeration Ton: the amount of heat required to melt one ton of ice within 24 hours. Hotel chillers normally range from 200 RT to 1000 RT, but sizes up to 5000 RT can be found as well. A mix of larger and smaller chillers is normally installed. This allows optimizing for partial loads throughout seasons.
13. Energy Performance Contract details 200 RT 500 RT 1000 RT Electricity consumption 120 kW 300 kW 600 kW Annual Electricity cost ¥ 390K ¥ 1 million ¥ 1.9 million Saving annual ¥ 39K ¥ 100K ¥ 190K System Cost 4 x ¥ 16.5K 4 x ¥ 30K 4 x ¥ 66K Total saving * ¥ 519K ¥ 1.38 million ¥ 2.61 million Chiller CAPEX (estimated) ¥ 340K ¥ 850K ¥ 1.7 million Electricity cost: RMB 0.90 / kWh Annual running hours: 3600 (40% of max) Energy saving: 10% Contract period: 2 years * Total saving calculated over a functional lifespan of 15 years and does not consider savings on cleaning cost. Remark: Data generated for China conditions
14. Responsibilities Wacon • Deliver system Eqobrush including all components • Supervise installation • Training and user manual • Inspection service (4x in 2 years) • Provide insight in efficiency development via monitoring system
15. Responsibilities Client • Prepare clean chiller for installation • M&E installation crew with tools available for installation (3 people, 2 days on a 500RT chiller) • Provide internet connection for monitoring.
16. Part 2 Technical details.
17. EQOBRUSH benefit overview Upto 40% Energy Savings Reduction of machine down-time for cleaning Reduction of chemicals for water treatment and periodical cleaning Increased production capacity Reduction of water consumption (higher cycle of concentration) Extend equipment lifespan (+20%)
18. Benefit: Energy saving The Graph illustrates potential savings for different condenser sizes based on 0.00025 FF with EQB, compared to 0.002 FF without EQB.
19. System components – Brushes and Catch baskets Durable: 3-5 years PE, stainless steel, nylon Baskets cemented to tube ends Clip system allows brush replacement without removing baskets Once installed, the brushes and baskets do not narrow the flow area. No pressure loss to the system.
20. System components – Reversal Valves o Zero Cross-Over o Variations to fit any pipe configuration o Steel, SS304, SS316, titanium o Pressure levels up to PN25 o Up to pipe diameter 600mm o Pressure loss <0.05 bar
21. Brush vs Ball cleaning Low system maintenance, minimal replacement cost All pipes get brushed on each cycle all pipes remain clean Strainer to catch balls is not fully effective, balls get lost and need replacement. Requires inspections and increases operating cost Pipes in “slow zone” of unit (outside) get less cleaning cycles Read more here: https://www.watco-group.co/online-cleaning-solutions-heat-exchangers-condensers-compared/
22. Thank you!